The churches of Moena
Religious culture in the Val di Fassa
Religious culture is very important in the Val di Fassa, which is evident from the numerous churches, votive capitals, crucifixes and statues present in all the hamlets. The churches are also works of art in their own right and bear witness to a profound and heartfelt religious past.
The church of San Vigilio
The first document on Moena concerns the consecration of the church of San Vigilio, which took place in 1164 at the hand of the Bishop of Trento Adalpreto, and would be followed by others due to its expansion in 1216 and 1534.
Between 1727 and 1728, the bell tower was restored and in 1735 the chapel of S. Sepolcro was erected, decorated, like other parts of the church, by the painter Valentino Rovisi from Moena.
This chapel, which ends with an external Via Crucis, was then demolished in 1820 to allow the church to be expanded with the addition of other two chapels.
In 1872, the bell tower was restored once more, this time by the Municipality of Moena, while the church was further expanded at the wish of the parish priest Giovanni Iori, as the constantly increasing population and growing influx of tourists demanded it. It was begun in 1929 and finished in 1931, when the church took on what is its current appearance.
The church of San Volfango
The church of San Volfango, situated beside the main church, is probably the oldest sacred building in Moena.
Still today, we do not know for certain when it was erected: there are those who maintain it dates back to 1025 and others who say that the consecration of the church of San Vigilio in 1164 refers in fact to this church, which would have then changed name in approximately 1400.
This small building is home to various recently restored frescoes from the late ‘400, the work of an unknown artist, a crucifix, probably from the seventeenth century and also by an unknown artist, and the splendid wooden ceiling by the local sculptor Giovanni Guadagnini.
The church of the Madonnina
The church of the Madonnina dates back to 1713 and was built on the wishes of Father Valerio Sommavilla, who left a fund for its conservation.
The building is in the baroque style with an octagonal floor plan and within is a valuable painted alter with wooden altar pieces by Giovanni Felicetti, an artist from the Val di Fiemme.
The church was, and remains, private property, still in the hands of its founder’s family.